Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Away for a few days

I spent the weekend at another Liberal Party convention, and had only sporadic access to the net, so I couldn't post until today.

But I was pleased to see the result of Madonna's Malawi court hearing on Friday. Apparently, the judge ruled that there was never a residency requirement for adoption. From AP News, "Typically, prospective parents are required to stay in Malawi during an 18-month evaluation period. But the judge who granted an interim custody order to the Ritchies on Oct. 12 said the issue of residence is not specified in the laws."

Even the groups who filed with the government in protest had to admit that everything has been done legally. So all they can do at this point is ask that the court monitor the adoption, which was going to happen anyway.

In other news, tomorrow morning I go into see the second opinion doctor, and I expect it will be interesting. I'm going to make sure she gets my thyroid scan results, and I'll try to bring the edited version of my health history. Of course, this also means I'll end up missing the Ashley's Warehouse Sale. I've always been there on the first day, crap.

Hmmm, maybe I'll end up spending less money? Probably not....hehe

And I finally got the guts up to talk to a leadership candidate about taking on infertility as a public health issue. I sat down with him for 15 minutes, poor guy, I think he thought I was going to ask him about Afghanistan. Instead, he got dead babies as a subject.

Shocked the crap out of him....but he did promise to talk more about it with me. Now I just have to get ahold of the rest of them. I can't let this go. I may never have another baby myself, but I have to do something to help other families.

And then I saw this news, and this item. The irony is killing me. It is actually easier to come out as a naked pin-up boy MP, (who happens to be running for leadership) or a nudist colony loving Supreme Court Justice than it is to come out as infertile, or as a mother of dead children...

I know it's for a good cause, and I like Scott Brison, but geez louise, what does it say about our society when we don't blink an eye over politicians and Supreme Court Judges being buck naked and people freak out and cry when I speak to them about maternal infant health?

Well, at least Canadians aren't boring, are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment