Tuesday, June 26, 2007

My new baby!

Ok, so it's not THAT kind of new baby...but still, a new Mac Book Pro laptop is insanely cool for a boring old mommy blogger like me to get. My old computer was dying and we had a little extra cash, and I was going to just get it refurbished and be out of commission for a week or so, but Mr.Cotta insisted I spend a little money on MYSELF on something cool and not just be all practical and self-sacrificing.

A little frilly is good for the soul, no?

Now, if I could just figure out how to get Safari to work????? It won't fit in the screen correctly, and I can't get all the tabs to work right...very very confusing after all these years of PC use. I'm also thinking of downloading Firefox instead? Opinions? Help?

And seriously, any suggestions on a cool laptop bag? I want something that doesn't look like a backpack, or a briefcase, more like a tote?

Next task, moving all my old word files, email etc. to this new hard drive and fixing up the old computer for exclusive kid use. I figure once the hard drive has been formatted and we reinstall all the software, it MIGHT not actually be full of spyware anymore...supposedly Kaz is learning how to create websites in HTML, dreamweaver, and a few other things, this week at computer camp, so maybe they can teach him how to surf without picking up bad stuff?

I had to laugh actually as he confided in me "It's really hard Mom, you wouldn't be able to do it, but don't worry, maybe I'll help you set up a webpage next."

"Thanks sweetie" (secret hehe, I really do have to introduce him to all of mommy's friends in the computer someday!)

15 comments:

  1. Ooh frilly, very very good for the soul...

    Photos??
    (oh, and I'm a complete idiot when it comes to all things techno)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you will love a Mac once you are used to it.

    And even though I used Safari for a long time, I have pretty much converted over to Firefox. It works better for Shutterfly and some of the other photo sites I frequent.

    Love iphoto, love imovie, love itunes... I'm a total Mac geek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for your new laptop! And how sneaky you are, keeping all of us a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of mac...you will never leave!
    i still use safari to surf (force of habit) but use firefox for any 'interactive' sites...ex. blogging....on safari i can't do anything 'extra' like bolding or italics or hyperlinking...if i was to start again, i'd just go with firefox and skip safari....
    enjoy your toy...sounds decadent and perfect!
    peace
    shlomit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could help you on a cool lap top bag but I have never even bought one for my lap top. I just carry it aound with out one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crumpler makes some nice (but not very cheap) laptop bags. I have one of the rucksack ones but there are others.
    http://www.crumplerbags.com/

    I use firefox and like it but I can't help with the mac questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Aurelia, I didn't know you were having problems with spyware, etc. That stuff's easy to deal with! Firefox is great for picking and choosing scripts (I disallow almost all scripts but I can choose to allow temporarily if a site doesn't work correctly), Avast is excellent for worms, viruses, etc., and Spybot will handle spyware.

    But a new laptop is so much cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For once I can be useful! I got a MacBook late last fall, and after years of being a PC person, I can now say that I am fully Apple-licious. At first I was using parallels and running windows all the time and going back and forth and now I hardly use windows at all. LOVE. MY. MAC.
    I hate safari. My husband uses it, but I cannot abide by it. I use Firefox and have been very happy with it on the Mac. In addition, I use an IM program called Adium (if you are into that) that can run msn, google, yahoo, icq, aol, probably others.
    As for bags. I found mine at amazon. I have had many complements on it: it is the Targus Getta Tote. I have it in black but I think they may also have it in red. Even if you don't like this particular bag, Targus has lots of nice-looking ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to have a Mac that I changed for a PC!

    I do miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I caved and bought a MacBook last fall - I love it! I love that I can take it to bed with me. I mostly use Safari, but some things do work better in Firefox - like Google Docs and Blogger. So, it's good to have both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new laptop! Hope your transition goes better than mine here at work (I am still having e-mail problems!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the new Mac. V. loves Macs but I'm a loyal PC user.

    As for the old PC for the kids. If you are using Rogers (and I'm sure Sympatico has one as well), the have parental controls you can setup to control where they go and such. But make sure you're antivirus application is up to date, also make sure you've got something like Spybot and Ad-Aware installed to try and fight the spyware. We use the parental controls and it can be setup so that any non-approved website needs to have a password typed in to allow access for that session or permanently. With some planning you can protect your system, and network if you've got one at home. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! I considered buying a mac book, but I didn't want to spend the extra money. My new laptop wasn't exactly planned. I had planned on getting a new one soon, but then I drowned the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love our MAC! Mostly because we hitchhike on our neighbor's high speed with it.

    I agree with others, Blogger and others are easier with Firefox. But can anyone tell me how to permanently install it? I keep having to accept and relaunch it.

    I'm still trying to master iPhoto and organizing my photos, but otherwise we think apple is cool.

    ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. After I originally ledft a comment I seem
    to have clicked oon the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and from now on every timee a comment is added I
    get four emails with the exat same comment.
    There has to be a means you ccan remove me from that service?
    Cheers!

    Take a look att my web-site :: this post

    ReplyDelete