Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Big Girl Panty Day!

I am soooo excited to be 40 today!

Mostly because I intend on buying myself a really nice purse, and some great shoes, haha. Not too excited about the wrinkles to come, but what the hell, they can match my stretchmarks.

Seriously, this next year I have vowed to do a couple of things. First off, to get my body back in some sort of shape. Not so much for the look, but for the strength and the bone-building. I'd like to look good, and I could just starve myself to skinny pretty fast, but the flabby thing has always been my problem. NO MORE. Next year, there will be a photo on this blog of a muscle. An actual honest to God big strong muscle. Not necessarily more than one, but at least one located somewhere on my body.

I am also going to get laser eye surgery next spring, which will freak me out totally, (bottle of Ativan anyone?) but a week ago the baby grabbed my glasses and flung them about, and I was blind and helpless until the nanny found them. Totally sucks being a -9.0 near-sighted. Time to change that.

We are in the process of planning the building/renovating our house and although that might be enough, I really think I also want to apply to go back to school. (If I apply now, I could go to the Big University in our city for Sept./09, a year away) Still percolating that one. Good thing: I would be a tax write-off for the house, and instead of working three jobs, & playing cards the rest of the day in the pub like I did back then, I would study occasionally. Bad thing: I would be the old lady in the class. Maybe too old?)

I am also considering jumping in to the fray again and advocating for grieving mothers. There's been some amazing progress recently, but there needs to be more. And the stronger I feel, the more I get done.

Meanwhile, time to shower, get dressed, and put on the big girl pants.

Forty is going to be a kickass year for me.

45 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I turn the big 40 next month, so I'm happy to have company! Have fun celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!

    Can't wait to hear more about the purse you pick. Yes, I know I'm being materialistic. I just loove purses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy big girl pants, Aurelia...yay for forty and all you've got lined up. :)

    and about those wrinkles...damn. are yours still to come? mine moved in around 32 and seem to be well-settled.

    i will look forward to the muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!!!

    Please please share pix of shoes and bags, please please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo!! Happy Birthday!! By the way you're never too old for studying!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Enjoy your gift shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday to you! It is so nice to see someone excited & full of enthusiasm about the possibilities of 40+ for a change! (And no, you're not too old to go back to school, if that's what you want -- dh plans to do just that when he retires!) Have a great day -- do we get to see a pic of the purse & shoes??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! I hope this will indeed be an awesome year for you. Looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. perchancetodreamAugust 12, 2008 4:20 pm

    Happy Birthday from a fellow August 12th baby!

    Hope 40 is all you wish it to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your enthusiasm :-)

    Never too old for study is right. I started my BA 24(!) years ago and I'm still studying (in all honesty, I've taken enough courses for 2 full degrees) and I'm going to finish someday, hopefully before Hadas graduates from high school (she's starting 10th grade). I am constantly amazed at how much easier it is for me to understand the material now than it was for me when I started out - at the (way too young) age of 16.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday!!!! i'm loving the plans for the year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 40th!

    (so far it's been a great number for me!)

    Oh, and most muscles come in pairs so I's suggest building two . . . otherwise you'll be a bit tippy.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 40th!

    Yeah for your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to you!
    Enjoy the shoppy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Big Girl!

    I know you are going to kick some butt. Unfortunatly I will only be able to picture you in granny panties now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday. I'm 6 days behind you. Let me know that 40 is everything you've ever expected!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You rock. I'm going to be a sobbing pile on the floor (shades of the Wicked Witch) on my 40th. I doubt any purse could make me feel differently.

    Although one one might make it more tolerable, I suppose . . .

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The 40s RULE! Wishing you much happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're still a whipper-snapper, you know.

    Happy, happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very happy birthday to you!

    I too have my get-my-body-back plan ready to go as soon as we're done with babies. If this kid shows up as planned, and I work hard, I might even make it just in time for my own 40th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday, Aurelia! I hope the coming year brings many wishes come true!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday - have a fabulous day!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday! Sounds like you've got a fabulous year lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday A!! (umm, yesterday. Though I left a comment the day before yesterday, so I am just ending the big day.)

    As for going back to University... When I started my Masters at that very university I was 25 (it was a 3.5 year degree), the ages of the students in my class were 24- 42. I kid you not. It was a very small class, and we spent the years very close to each other. The age range did not make a difference. In fact if was so interesting what different things all of us brought to the table, be it in life experience and/or educational background.

    (However, if you are referring the the other big uni up north-where I did my undergrad- I think there are fewer, umm, mature students.)

    Good luck with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday! And I love the plans ;).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthday! And I love the plans ;).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday.
    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooo, I like all of these plans. So much to look forward to! Happy Birthday my dear! And, as far as being the old one in the class, I think it has more advantages than being the young one.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It sounds like you have it all worked out. Happy 40th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Belatedly wishing you a GREAT 4-0!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy (belated) birthday! Sure sounds like a kick-arse year to me. What great plans! Can't wait to see it unfold.

    Bea

    ReplyDelete