Monday, February 26, 2007

More Broken and Bent Bits

Not such a hot weekend. Saturday morning, CD1 begins, with no warning, blahing my mood. I knew that it was going to happen, because due to my cold and grossness, it would've taken the immaculate conception to get me knocked up last month, but still, a few cramps as a heads up would've been considerate.

Then, I was walking down the street with my little guy on the way to the park and discovered that crossing the street is not nearly as easy as it looks. I tripped over a speed bump and went flying ass over teakettle smack in the middle of the road.

I fell hard, and had to get up pretty damn slow. I think every part of my body got knocked and jarred. My hands got skinned and my head smacked the pavement, but worst of all, the impact on my knees.

With the osteoporosis and all, I am very paranoid about getting hurt. And well, this time, my knees took the brunt of it, and things hurt and clicked and groaned in all the wrong places. When I was 17 I blew my knees out cycling, and made it worse by wearing hideously high heeled boots. (Yes, stupid...aren't all teenagers stupid about fashion?) So having been through knee surgery once, the last thing I want to do is hurt them, and shit have I ever. They aren't just skinned, but swollen, and bruised, and painful.

Thank God for cellphones...hubby came and got me and the kidlet, got me home, and I started swallowing ibuprofen and icing the sore bits. Not that it did much good, everything hurt worse the next day. And that day, was the day we had already invited everyone over for roast turkey. The already-thawed, waiting-for-me-to-cook-it-turkey. Hubs was busy with work and other stuff and couldn't do it, so I did it. With sore messed up knees and back. #$!%^&

Good part was, I did it in the convection oven, at 350 degrees, rubbed with sage, salt, olive oil, garlic, and pepper and it came out perfect. (I had to shield the wings and legs with some foil, then tent the breast with a little more foil part way through.) Golden, beautiful, moist, and delish. 2 hours, and 20 minutes flat for a 16 pound turkey. Not bad for a chick with lousy bones and joints, huh?

So maybe the weekend wasn't sooo awful. Yummy, but achy. Going to go ice the knees some more. Gah....

8 comments:

  1. ouch! Take it easy and feel better soon, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go rest woman! Was it icy out there, or are you accident prone like me? I can even manage to fall going UP the stairs! Glad you had a good turkey. Doesn't it seem that they turn out better the less you mess with them? Mmm, turkey, gravy, and taters, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owwww. I hope the bumps and brusies heal soon.

    Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch - feel better - I love that you used "ass over teakettle" - great expression.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUCH! I hope the ice and ibu helped... Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooohhhhh, yummmm you're making me soooo hungry. That turkey sounds delicious. And sorry about the fall, I cringed and yelped here in my chair when I read about it! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I hope your knees feel better very, very soon.

    And yum, that turkey sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take it easy! I hope those bruises and swelling subsides soon. I have strong family history of osteoporosis and highly at risk too. Scary.

    ReplyDelete