Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Maybe this is why I'm so tired

I have been weirdly exhausted, more so than normal pregnancy, and yet I've had insomnia. I'm so tired I could cry, but when I try to sleep I can't. My mind races, my heart beats loudly, I toss and turn. I have a very comfortable bed, I have my snoogle, the room is the right temperature....and yet, yesterday morning I woke up at 4 a.m. totally unable to sleep. I came downstairs, ate my first breakfast of the day, and surfed a bit while I tried to figure out what was going on.

And then it hit me like a smack upside the forehead----my thyroid is out of whack again!

I was hyperthyroid for a while in 2006, and then normal, and then it kept showing normal while my RAIU scans were bizarrely abnormal. They just kept telling me that it was going to be this way for awhile, swinging back and forth for years until my thyroid was hyper all the time and then they'd ablate it, meanwhile I'm just supposed to suffer in agony....fucking boneheads.

I never accepted this, partially because it puts any pregnancy I achieve in danger, but also because being hyperthyroid for any period of time puts my organs and bones in danger. The thyroid gland is no longer useful if it starts to go hyper, it can even become cancerous from all the cell growth, not to mention the oh-so-attractive neck goiter, so it's smarter to just ablate it, one radioactive pill and I'm done, and then just take thyroid medication to treat becoming hypothyroid. Again, one little itty-bitty pill every morning, and I'm right as rain. Very simple, but none of the endocrinologists I've spoken to will write the order.....they are all quite desperate for me to keep being sick. Guess they bill more that way, stupid fuckers!

My OB is off for March Break and he has someone subbing in for him, but I didn't feel like explaining the whole rigamarole to a new guy so yesterday morning I called up my GP, Dr.J. and got an appointment. She and I have this great relationship, where we finish each other's sentences....and as soon as I told her I had insomnia and was waking up early, but I was tired---she said "And you're wondering if it's your thyroid?" And I laughed because she knew exactly! I went for a blood test, results maybe back today late afternoon, maybe tomorrow morning.

This also explains my altered gestational diabetes test incidentally. I go for the retest Thursday and we'll see if it comes up abnormal again. If my thyroid is off, it messes up my blood sugar. If my thyroid isn't off, and it all shows up normal again, and my GTT is still abnormal then I don't know what the heck to do.

Good news is, I have a new fridge coming, and a new washer and dryer, and even a new Dyson animal vacuum cleaner!!! Weeeeeeeeeee!!!! Yep, I finally mustered up the courage to do it! They come Friday.

Off to take another nap. If I can't sleep, maybe I can rest a bit before the kids get home from hockey camp. Yawn.....

9 comments:

  1. If your thyroid is normal, it could be you are going hypoglycemic in the night. When we go hypo, adrenalin gets dumped to stimulate glucose production from other sources, and if it's in the middle of the night, you wake up. Bolt upright, usually.
    This would also be consistent with occasionally failed GTT as it would have you teetering on the reactive lows/GD border. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Dyson vacuum is awesome. I struggled with the decision to buy it and finally did. It doesn't clog!

    Do you know if thyroid problems can cause miscarriage/stillbirth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like new appliances to wake a girl up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia knows everything.

    Can have your old appliances? I'm kidding. That's a bit too long of a drive and I have nowhere to store them. Are they stainless steel or anything else exciting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feel better soon!

    I have the Dyson DC15 Animal - I bought it from sears and it is by far the BEST vacuum I've ever had. I will NEVER buy anything else but a Dyson again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my fingers crossed that all your test will come out normal. I so want a Dyson. Luky you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to hear what you think of the Dyson! Is it pathetic that most of the comments so far are in regards to the vacuum?

    I hope you get things sorted out. I hate to think of you feeling so awful all of the time. Being chronically tired is the worst, although I guess that is coming soon anyway... huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Antigone, it can certainly cause miscarriages, but I am not sure about stillbirth. There is a new study out that I have a copy of about treatment of a particular type of thyroid condition in pregnancy. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, to chime in with Julia, as I emailed you Antigone, thyroid problems can cause miscarriage, even late miscarriage, and I know from my OB that hyperthyroid can cause stillbirth due to placental damage, and sometimes PTL due to issues with heart rate of the mom, etc.

    The only way to know if that has been your issue is to ask if any evidence was seen in your medical records or any evidence on your pathology reports. You may have been tested for these already?

    ReplyDelete